Michael Jordan Testifies He ‘Wasn’t Afraid’ of Nascar in Legal Battle
Michael Jeffrey Jordan, introducing himself formally in a federal courtroom on Friday, admitted that his drive to win and novelty within the sport emboldened his push for 23XI Racing to confront Nascar over alleged violations of competition laws.
Team Investment and a Competitive Drive
The owner disclosed operational insights of his 23XI team, revealing he put in $40m of his personal wealth into the Cup Series operation launched with business partner Curtis Polk and driver Hamlin.
“Someone had to step forward,” Jordan said in the Charlotte courtroom. “I was a new person, I had no fear. I believed I could take on Nascar as a whole. I felt as far as the sport required examination through a new lens.”
Central Issue: Charter Agreements and Contract Pressure
The heart of the case involves the expiration of a 2016 agreement where Nascar provided each team a “charter”. The concept is similar to other professional sports with independent franchises, like the Charlotte Hornets or the NFL’s Panthers. The agreement was due to end in 2024 when Nascar demanded charter membership renewals.
Jordan was on the witness stand for about sixty minutes and exited the courthouse to a media frenzy, with onlookers and reporters vying for a view or a picture of the sports legend.
Leading the Legal Charge
Jordan’s 23XI is leading the full-court press along with Front Row Motorsports for Nascar to change a business model Jordan contended is unlawful to maintain excessive control.
For Jordan and and a fellow team representative, who testified before Jordan, are details from last September. Gibbs described a frantic and emotional period where the racing circuit told teams they must sign a contract extension. The document spanned 112 pages outlining pay for chartered teams and a guaranteed spot in every race.
Choosing Litigation
Jordan said that his team and its ally decided their sole viable path was to refuse a signature that extensive document and litigate the matter. The other 13 organizations signed the agreement.
The team owners approached Nascar about potential amendments or extension options. Nascar wasn’t talking, Jordan said.
The Bottom Line: Winning
Ultimately, the pushback against what he saw as a unsustainable system was driven by the usual bottom line for Jordan: Success.
“Denny convinced me adding a third car improved our chances to win,” he said, noting that he bought a third charter last year for $28m amid the legal dispute. “So I dove in.”
Heather Gibbs’ Testimony
Gibbs described her request for permanent charters, submitted in a written letter to Nascar. She testified the pressure of the signature deadline didn’t sit well.
According to her, the team founder first attempted to call and talk Nascar out of demanding signatures, but CEO Jim France refused the appeal.
“Don’t do this to us,” Gibbs recounted Joe Gibbs told Nascar’s leadership. She said France replied, “If I wake up and I have 20 charters, that’s what I have. If there are 30, I have 30.”